Friday, February 10, 2012

Hand Towel Messenger bag

I have always been inspired by vintage linens, this time vintage 
hand/dish towels. I decided to create a bag using two dish towels. 
I was a little gung ho, so I didn't take any during pics. 
The towels were similar to this one.


Here's the finished product, but I will explain how I created it.


 I used one whole towel for the main bag, folding it in half. 
The 2nd towel I used for the strap and reinforcing 
the top of the bag, which is very european.


The strap was a bit too long so I folded it over and stitched.


This is a french nightgown, you can see how it's reinforced on the shoulders.


You can see where I reinforced the top of the bag where I also attached the strap.


 I used one of my many vintage buttons, I thought the yellow complimented the blue stripes.


 I took the original tag from one of the towels and stitched it to the outside as a label.
I  must say, I thought this was a fabulous idea! Yes, I did pat myself on the back : )


 I used extra linen fabric scraps to make pockets on the inside of the bag, on both sides.



This towel still has it's original label! This will be my next one, 
although I only have one towel, maybe it will be a smaller version.


This will be the label on this bag!


I am now on the hunt for more vintage hand/dish towels similar to these!

7 comments:

  1. Love this bag! The blue and white looks so classic~I think putting the label back on it was inspired too. got you back on the blog roll~looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It looks vintage chic! So perfect for Spring. Coming over from Between Naps on the Porch and your newest follower!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bag! Great job! Visiting from MET!! Drop by to see me sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LUV LUV LUV! Thanks for the great tut! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea! I would love for you stop by and link up at my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/

    Mrs. Delightful
    Ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. brilliant use of these beauties!

    visiting via white wednesday. come visit anytime.

    smiles

    michele
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/02/heart-for-vintage.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out AWESOME!!!! Thanks so much for sharing at my party!!! I just featured you on my blog!!! Love this! Can't wait to see what you link up this week!!! Just in case you haven't entered, my giveaway for 1000 full color business cards ends tonight at midnight!!! Glad to be following you!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message I love reading them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails